Dutch citizens can request a residence permit to bring their foreign partners to the Netherlands. Marriage is not required, as long as an exclusive and long-term relationship can be proven.
Applying for a residence permit for a partner is possible when the following requirements are met:
- Both partners must be over 21.
- The Dutch partner must show s/he has sufficient financial means to support the foreign partner. The minimum required monthly income is € 1435,20. Proof must be submitted that the income will be available for at least the coming year. When the income can only be shown for the next six months, additional income statements from previous years will be reviewed.
- The couple must live together in the Netherlands, and both must register with the municipality.
- The foreign partner must have passed the residency exam ('inburgeringsexamen'), unless an exception applies.
- The foreign partner has valid travel documents.
- The foreign partner is not a threat to public safety, and is willing to undergo a tuberculosis examination (exceptions apply).
Please contact us for more information on detailed requirements and application procedure.