Temporary stay

Citizens of many countries wishing to visit Canada for a brief vacation or for business purposes may be admitted for up to six months without having to apply for a temporary resident visa. Beginning March 15 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals will however be required to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to Canada. US citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement. Travelers with a study or work permit issued before August 1 2015, will also need to apply for an eTA if they wish to enter or return to Canada by air.

Visa-exempt visitors must hold a valid passport and generally will be expected to demonstrate that they have:

  • Booked a return flight or an onward journey to a country they are eligible to enter;
  • Evidence that they can provide for themselves during their stay in Canada.

Citizens of countries that are not listed as visa-exempt must apply for a temporary resident visa before travelling to Canada. Once in Canada visitors who would like to stay longer than six months may apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for an extension.