Work permit

In most situations a temporary work permit is required to be able to work in Canada. Depending on the situation, different options might be applicable. In certain cases, a temporary work permit may not be required.

Working on a temporary work permit

There are two kinds of work permits:

  • Work permits that are based on a written confirmation, known as a Labour Market Impact Analysis (LMIA), from the Department of Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that the employer may hire a foreign worker.
  • Work permits without an LMIA. This applies to special circumstances such as:
    • Intra-company transfers. An intra-company transfer allows businesses to send certain key personnel to a subsidiary, parent or sister company in Canada for up to three years. The person being transferred must have worked for the business for at least one year in the last three years and is either a senior manager or a specialized knowledge worker.
    • Exchange programs for students and young workers, such as the Working Holiday program.

Please contact us to discuss which work permit best fits your specific situation.

Working without a temporary work permit

In certain cases, a temporary work permit may not be required. These include, for example, news reporters, film and media crews, athletes / coaches and performing artists. People who are being sent to Canada to supervise installation and repair of equipment sold by a foreign company to a Canadian company are also exempt, as long as this has been provided for in the original sales contract and/or warranty. Check beforehand whether you will require a temporary work permit.