New Zealand

Temporary Work Visa

There are different visa categories that make it possible to temporarily work in New Zealand Each category has different requirements and application procedures. The options for applying for permanent residence after the temporary work visa will also differ.

Essential Skills Work Visa

The Essential Skills Work Visa is one of the most frequently used New Zealand temporary work visas. It is usually issued for a period of 3 years, but can also be issued for a shorter period.

Work to Residence

he Work to Residence Visa is a temporary work visa that explicitly offers a pathway to apply for permanent residence after a period of two years. The job offer in this category must come from a so-called ‘accredited employer’.

An accredited employer has already gone through a procedure with INZ to obtain this status. Among other things, the employer has to demonstrate that it made an effort to find personnel in New Zealand and / or train people for the position in question. It almost always concerns positions for highly skilled employees. The minimum salary when applying in this category is NZ $ 79,560.

A Work to Residence visa holder can apply for a Resident Visa in the Residence from Work Category after working in New Zealand for a period of two years.

Installation or repair

The Specific Purpose Visa category makes it possible to perform installation or maintenance work in New Zealand by employees of foreign companies. This usually concerns commissioning of a machine or installation that a foreign company has supplied to a New Zealand customer. However, it can also concern the provision of a service or project management during installation or implementation.

An important part of the visa application is an agreement between the foreign supplier and the New Zealand customer that specifies the work in New Zealand to be done by employees of the foreign supplier.

In addition, the visa applicant must have demonstrable experience and expertise relevant to the performance of the assignment. The maximum duration for which the visa is issued depends on the type of work and thus the sub-category of the visa that is applied for.

Working Holiday

It is possible to apply for a Working Holiday visa for young people from 18 to 30 years old. This visa offers the possibility to travel and work for a maximum of 12 months. It is also possible to study on this visa for a maximum period of 6 months. The visa is based on bilateral agreement between New Zealand and another country, and requirements for this category can differ slightly depending on the nationality of the applicant.

You can apply for the Working Holiday visa only once. After the application has been approved, the applicant has one year to travel to New Zealand. Subsequently, the visa is valid for one year after entry.

In addition to the few temporary visa options described on this page there are many more categories. Please contact us to discuss your situation and possible visa options in more detail.

DISCLAIMER: VisaVersa is not a government agency, but an immigration law firm that offers consultation and assistance to clients in compiling a visa application. Read more.