United States

H-1B Work Visa

The H-1B visa permits US employers to hire foreign professionals for a specified period of time. H-1B visas are available to professionals in certain specified occupations that require specialized knowledge and at least a bachelors degree to enter the profession.

Examples of qualifying occupation categories are jobs in the fields of computer science, health care, university teaching, engineering, law, accounting, financial analysis, management consulting, architecture and scientific research positions.


  • The H-1B visa allows foreign nationals to legally live and work in the United States.
  • Travel in and out of the United States is allowed as long as your H-1B visa and status are valid.
  • Visas are also available for immediate family members (i.e., spouse and children).


  • The H-1B visa is subject to a quota. Every year 65.000 visas are available.
  • You may only work for the employer who sponsored you. If you change your employer you will need to file a different H-1B application.
  • The H-1B visa is a temporary work permit that allows foreign nationals to live and work in the United States for up to 6 years. After this period you need to return to your home country unless some other status has been requested.
  • Immediate family members (spouse and/or unmarried children under 21 years of age) may live in the United States but are not allowed to work.