Intracompany Transfer (L-1)
The L-visa is used for employees of international companies that are transferred from the foreign office to the US office of the company. There are two categories of L visa:
- L-1A for managers and executives.
This visa may be issued for 1-3 years with a maximum period of seven years.
- L-1B for specialized knowledge employees.
This visa may be issued for 1-3 years with a maximum period of five years.
- The L-1 visa applicant must be employed at the company abroad for at least one of the previous three years before the visa application is filed with the USCIS.
- The petitioning United States company must be affiliated with the company abroad, as a branch, subsidiary, etc.
- The transferring company must continue to do business abroad during the entire period of the alien’s stay in the United States as an L-1 transferee.
- The visa applicant must be employed at the company abroad as a manager, executive, or employee with a specialized knowledge position.
- The employee must be coming to work at the United States company as a manager/executive or specialized knowledge employee.
Spouses of L-1 visa holders may work in the United States after applying for work authorization from the USCIS.
Please contact us for more information on the requirements and application process for the L-1 visa.