An employer needs to apply for a combined work and residence permit to be able to employ a trainee from abroad. The purpose of the training in the Netherlands must be to gain experience that will benefit the position of the trainee in his/her home country.

Part of the application is a training program explaining why is it necessary for the training program to take place in the Netherlands. The maximum duration of a trainee work permit is 24 weeks, and this period can not be extended.

An employer needs to apply for a combined work and residence permit to be able to employ an intern from abroad. Key requirements for this type of application are:

  • The intern must be a student at a school or university outside of the Netherlands and the internship must be mandatory part of the degree program.
  • A phased training plan must be included detailing the key tasks, activities and learning objectives.
  • The intern must be able to show that they have an income (including internship stipend) that is at least 50% of the Dutch minimum wage for his/her age.

The maximum duration of the work/residence permit for an intern is 6 to 12 months, depending on the type of degree program.

    Questions about this visa?

    Contact us at +31 (0)78-7518450 or fill out this form set up your free 15-minute phone consultation:

    "VisaVersa was able to quickly arrange a visa for a short business visit in New York. Even though it was urgent, this was no problem at all. They were of great help."

    VisaVersa | Visa, Travel & Residence | service netherlands

    Wouter Stolk

    Digitaal Effect B.V.