An employer can apply for a Single Permit for foreign employees and trainees if these employees come to work in the Netherlands for more than 3 months. The Single Permit consists of a residence permit and an additional document that includes the name of the employer and the work conditions.

A Single Permit application is submitted to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND). IND will consult with the UWV (Employment Office) on the labor market assessment of the position offered to the foreign national.

In a number of cases it is sufficient to only apply for a work permit (TWV) at the UWV. This may concern, for example:

  • An alien who comes to work in the Netherlands for less than 90 days; or
  • An alien who is in possession of a valid residence permit for study and wants to work a maximum of 16 hours per work or full-time during the months of June, July and August.

The Single Permit and the TWV are usually granted only after it has become clear that the employer who wishes to hire a foreign national has not been able to find a suitable candidate in the Netherlands and in other EU member states, despite sufficient effort.

Some foreign nationals are allowed to work in the Netherlands without having to obtain a work permit.

Please contact us to discuss your situation in more detail.

    Questions about this visa?

    Contact us at +31 (0)78-7518450 or fill out this form set up your free 15-minute phone consultation:

    "VisaVersa was able to quickly arrange a visa for a short business visit in New York. Even though it was urgent, this was no problem at all. They were of great help."

    VisaVersa | Visa, Travel & Residence | service netherlands

    Wouter Stolk

    Digitaal Effect B.V.